Wow, winter certainly has hit Melburnians hard in recent weeks. I have mixed emotions about winter as I hate feeling cold but I absolutely love winter fashion. I love layering, accessorising and combining different fabric textures to help create that perfect winter ensemble. The most common thing to do when shopping in winter is to play it safe with colour and go for dark tones. It's almost like we want to camouflage with the miserable grey winter sky. Greys and black tones often saturate our winter wardrobes. I'm a victim myself, but this doesn't mean we can't add some colour to accompany these black and grey tones. I definitely encourage you all to add a bit of colour to your wardrobe this season. You may be daring and choose to add colour to your staple winter coat. Otherwise, a great way to brighten up a winter wardrobe is through coloured accessories including, hosiery, socks, hats, scarves and gloves.
I thought it would be nice to engage in some fun shopping together. I have gathered some of my winter accessory finds with you. They include both practical and fun accessory suggestions to help add to your new winter wardrobe. Most items I've selected are available online so you don't even have to face the elements to purchase them. I have also included some vintage finds from some selected Etsy shops for you to fight over. Let me know what you think!
Before you begin your shopping experience, preview a couple of winter looks I've styled to show you how by adding interesting and sometimes daring accessories can enhance a winter look. In the first look I'm wearing a high collared ruffle dress from my 'Giovanna Scarfo Queen Of The Sky Collection.' The dress has a detachable collar which enables you to open up the neckline to create a softer statement. To add colour I'm wearing a cropped red jacket over the dress. Over black stockings I've added stripy arm warmers worn as socks to create a fun layered look. The military beret hat is vintage.
Let me know your thoughts on this ensemble.
In this second look I'm wearing a coat from my 'Giovanna Scarfo Queen Of The Sky Collection' over a floral shirt fully buttoned up with skinny leg 'White Suede' jeans. I have accessorised with cream cashmere fingerless gloves and a knitted head scarf with pom poms. Both are incredibly warm. My studded heels are from Nine West. I bought them in brown and black because they seem to go with everything and are incredibly comfortable.
You can see how much character a couple of fun accessories can add to a winter outfit.
Now it's time to shop!
1. Fear Of You Gloves: $69.00 Alannah Hill online boutique http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/
2. Lady Of Leisure Gloves: $79.00 Alannah Hill online boutique http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/
3. Bossy Boots! Gloves: $129.00 Alannah Hill online boutique http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/
4. Ice cream Queen Gloves: $79.00 Alannah Hill online boutique http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/
5. Knitted Gloves: $49.95 Country Road http://www.countryroad.com.au/
6. Knitted Arm warmers: $49.95 Country Road http://www.countryroad.com.au/
7. Cream Floral Laser Cut Gloves: $38.30AU Top Shop online http://www.topshop.com
8. Mid-length two colour gloves: $23.00 American Apparel online: http://store.americanapparel.com.au/
9. Handmade French Vanilla Gloves (made to order) $16.00 RememberADay http://www.etsy.com/people/RememberADay
10. Hand Made, Knitting ,White Fingerless Glove Arm Warmer Adorned With Beeds, Pasin http://www.etsy.com/people/pasin $28.00
11. Hand Made, Hand Knitting, Camel Brown Fingerless Glove, Arm Warmer, Mitten , $28.00 Pasin http://www.etsy.com/people/pasin
12. Hand Made, Knitting ,Gray, Beige, White Fingerless Glove Arm Warmer Adorned Black Ribbon And Beeds, $28.00 Pasin http://www.etsy.com/people/pasin
1. Wood Wood Square Scarf: $75.00 Urban Outfitters online http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/index.jsp
2. Cream coloured Hand Knit Infinity Scarf/Hood: $24.00 RememberADay , http://www.etsy.com/people/RememberADay
3. Printed Sheer Jersey Scarf: $35.00 American Apparel online http://store.americanapparel.com.au/
4. Printed Sheer Jersey Scarf: $35.00, American Apparel online http://store.americanapparel.com.au/
5. Ice cream Queen Scarf: $149.00, Alannah Hill online Boutique http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/
6. Fear Of You Scarf: $99.00, Alannah Hill online Boutique http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/
7. Not My Fault Scarf: $89.00, Alannah Hill online Boutique http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/
8. Fox Fur Pull Through: $129.95, Witchery.
9. Ivory cable knit Lux soft capelet: $45.00(free shipping), SKaccessories www.etsy.com/people/SKaccessories?ref=ls_profile
10. Knitted pink chain necklace: $29.90 SKaccessories www.etsy.com/people/SKaccessories?ref=ls_profile
11. Faux Fur Collar: $99.00 Country Road www.countryroad.com.au/
12. Navy Blue Stripe Snood: $24.40AUD Top Shop www.topshop.com
1. Lover Boy Socks, $15.00 (on sale!) Alannah Hill Online Boutique.
2. Girly Lace Ankle Sock: $14.00 American Apparel.
3. Pointelle Ankle Sock: (2 pack for $20.00) American Apparel.
4. Side detail floral sheer tight: $14.00 (2 for $20) Urban Outfitters.
5. UO sheer polkadot tights: $14.00, Urban Outfitters.
6. House of Holland Super Suspender Tight: $28.00, Urban Outfitters.
7. Pointelle over the knee sock: $12.00, Urban Outfitters.
1. Her Royal Ideas Cap: $129.00, Alannah Hill Online Boutique, http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/.
2. La Di Da Girl Beanie Hat: $69.00, Alannah Hill Online Boutique, http://shop.alannahhill.com.au/.
3. Felt Floppy Hat: $79.00, Marcs.
4. Faux Fur Trim Hat: $59.95, Country Road.
5. Staple Panama: $39.95, Sportsgirl.
6. Quilted Fur Trapper Hat: $54.00, State & Lake, http://www.shopbop.com/
7. Beret Paisley: $ 48.00(USD), Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony http://www.openingceremony.us/
8. Unisex Wool Military Beret: $44.00, American Apparel.
9. Two Tone Beret: $24.95, Sportsgirl.
10. Pleated Turban: $29.00(USD) Urban Outfitters http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/index.jsp
11. Full Jersey Turban (in grey also): $29.00(USD), Urban Outfitters, http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/index.jsp
12.Baker Boy Hat: $49.95, Witchery.
1-4 are from an amazing vintage store called Ikhan Vintage. Amy provides an amazing selection of vintage clothing and accessories for you to choose from. I encourage any of you vintage lovers out there to check out her Etsy shop! www.etsy.com/shop/IKAHN
1. Vintage MOD CIRCLE cutout gloves: $34.00, Ikhan Vintage.
2. Vintage brown FUR TRIM wool knit gloves: $35.00, Ikhan Vintage.
3. Vintage BLACK FOX FUR trapper hat with long ties: $74.00 Ikhan Vintage.
4. Black vintage HAMPTON EQUESTRIAN hat (On sale!): $28.00.
5-8 is a small selection of vintage accessories I found from different Etsy shops. Information listed below.
You must be quick though as there is only one available of each!
5. Leather Cashmere Fur Gloves (Size 6.5): $39.50, Mr.FilthyRotten, http://www.etsy.com/people/MrFilthyRotten?ref=ls_profile
6. Pair of Vintage Glove Hangers: $15.00, Salvaged Space http://www.etsy.com/shop/salvagedspace?ref=pr_shop_more
7. Antique Leather Gloves with Embroidery in Original Box: $60.00, Luvintage, http://www.etsy.com/shop/luvintage?
8. 1950s/1960s Yellow Leather "Miss Aris" Gloves: $26.00, With Love Vintage http://www.etsy.com/people/WithLoveVintage?ref=ls_profile
Another fun shop I came across on Etsy was 'Purdy Things' http://www.etsy.com/people/PurdyThings
Below you will see some of the creative handmade accessories available.
1. Chocolate Brown Bear Ears Crochet Ear Flap Beanie with Flower Clip - custom size and color $32.00.
2. Crochet Cotton Ivory No Slip Headband with Cupcake Hair Clip (one size fits all): $12.00.
3. Ladies Espresso and Cupcakes Crochet Fingerless Gloves: $28.00.
4. Alice In Wonderland Crochet Bow Headband $26.00.
Thanks so much for sharing this fun shopping spree with me.
Not long until Dusty Petals shop will be open for you to buy complete styled looks at great prices!
Feel free to comment on any of the items from this post or looks. I'd love to have your feedback.
See you next time.